Saturday 15 June 2013

Banana bounty delight

I handed in a 50% assignment today. I handed in early too... we have quite a lot to do right now so I'm trying to stay on top (so I shouldn't really be on here... but ah well...)
I really felt like something sweet afterwards... some sort of pastry. I was intending to make an apple strudel, but when I got home we didn't have enough apples left, and ours bananas were too mushy to eat by themselves, so perfect for baking! I then thought about what sort of flavours I wanted to go with it... and since I had a little bit of coconut cream left in a can in the fridge I might as well do use that. Then I thought of bounty bars... obviously, now that I'm vegan I don't eat them any more, but I used to think they were alright, despite not being a huge fan of candy bars. So I threw in some shredded coconuts, chocolate chips and a wee bit of golden syrup as a sweeteners as well... and thus my creation was born.

I admit I was lazy and used shop bought pastry instead of making my own... but it's study period, so I have an excuse! =P Here is the recipe for the filling, anyway...

Banana bounty delight (makes 2 pastries)

Ingredients
-2 sheets of puff pastry
-3 tbs golden syrup
-3 bananas
-4 tbs shredded coconut
-1/3rd tin coconut cream
-6 tbs chocolate chips

Directions
1) Take the pastry out of the freezer, and leave it on the counter to thaw a little. Don't use it until it is flexible enough not to break when folded.
2) Preheat oven to 200°C, or according to directions on your pastry packet.
3) Mush bananas in a bowl.
4) Add coconut cream, shredded coconut, golden syrup and 4 tbs of the chocolate chips. Stir.
5) Make tube-like packets out of the pastry, and fill with the mixture.
6) Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips on the top.
7) Bake for 10 minutes, then remove. It is likely that some of the mixture has come out of the packets. If this is the case, simply lightly scrape it off the tray and onto the tops of your pastries.

Here are my pastries at step 7. This is quite a messy process!

8) Bake for another 10 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown.
9) Serve topped with icing sugar and a drizzle of golden syrup, or to taste.

This is what it looks like straight out of the oven... it looks pretty messy, even now, but it's delicious and looks much better when plated (see above).

Enjoy!

~Ingi


No comments:

Post a Comment